Sunday 4 July 2010

The lowly rhubarb



I didn't know how good rhubarb was.  I've been here in the UK for two years and it's only today have I learned how good rhubarb actually is. It's savory, it's sweet, it's sour. It tastes like a sweetened mango. Yumm! Its sour taste reminds me of those sweets my mother used to make when I was a kid. You know like when a mango is too sour, she would cook it with sugar and how I loved to spoon it for desert.


When I first came I saw them in my husband's allotment but didn't give it any attention because it didn't look attractive at all. I see them in the shops. I see them in the recipe book. I heard people talked about them but still I wasn't intrigued at all. Then last week, a colleague told me that if there's one thing he would miss from the UK when he goes to live abroad is the sweetened rhubarb. As he described it my mouth watered and the next few days when I went to my allotment I plucked some stalk to try it.

Surprisingly, there are so many ways to cook rhubarb. And since I got three plants in my allotment now I would be exploring other recipes in the following days.