Sunday 12 June 2011

Celebrating Philippine Independence Day

Sitting on my bed, laptop on my lap, I'm celebrating Philippine Independence Day! How? By uploading my photo donning a Filipiniana on Facebook. That's the best way I can do it. Few days ago, I called my good friend, Fely, to ask if there was going to be a Pinoy celebration here in Norwich but alas there is none. It's a lovely day outside, I wonder why the Filipinos in Norwich didn't organize one. I'm sure there is a big number of Filipinos in this city but there seems to have no organized group except for Pinoy in Norwich Aksyon Samahan (PINAS) and I think they are mostly nurses, of which I don't belong.

Anyway, as part of my celebration, I'm going to fry daing from the Philippines, of course, and make pinakbet to make my day complete. If I had my Filipiniana I would also put it on but I left it at home. Nevertheless, these are just outward manifestation of my passionate patriotism. My country needs more than these.

In my Facebook status on this day last year I posted this message: kung iluluha ko lahat ng hinagpis ko para sa aking mahal na Inang Bayan baka sya ay malunod :'(
Parang awa nyo na mga halimaw na pulitiko palayain nyo na sya

It is sad to note that although the Philippines has acquired her independence from the colonizers (Spaniards and Americans) and the destroyers (Japanese) more evil spirits has taken over, namely, the politicians and their appointees in different government sectors. It hurts even more! I remember an article I read a long time ago where a former president was quoted saying, "I'd rather see the Philippines run like hell by the Filipinos than it run like heaven by the Americans!" Well, he got exactly what he wished for, didn't he?

I could ramble on forever but I'd rather save you from a boring read. :D

Credits:
Quote from Answers.com